What Documents are Needed for a VA Home Loan Approval?
The three main documents you will need to begin your approval process are the following:
- Certificate of Eligibility
- Form DD-214 (for those who have been discharged from active duty)
- Form 28-8937 (for those receiving VA disability to receive benefits).
Depending on the type of mortgage you are applying for and what mortgage lender you are working with, other documents may be required. The list below expresses what some of those documents might be.
There are various documents that are going to be needed prior to your approval. The items below are linked to the required documents you will need to have filled out or completed.
The first document you are going to need is your certificate of eligibility. The process to get your certificate of eligibility, or COE, can be a quick and easy.
How to Get Your Certificate of Eligibility
The quickest way to to get your COE is through your eBenefits portal. Follow our steps here.
Other Documents You May Need
- A statement from your commanding officer if you are currently on active duty.
- If you are no longer in the military, your DD214 form may be required.
The home loan approval process requires a basic amount of personal information. The list below expresses most of the information your going to need to provide:
- Your name, address, phone number, and birthday
- 2 year home address history
- Your education history
- Copy of a valid government issued ID (drivers license, birth certificate, etc…)
- Social Security information
- Number of dependents and their ages
- Nearest relative information
Income and Employment Information
This section mostly applies to non-active service members. If you are currently active you have a set and steady income which makes qualifying for a home loan much easier. If you are not currently active you may need to provide the following information:
- Proof of employment
- Two most recent pay stubs
- A letter of employment from your employer
Financial and Tax Information
Almost all loans require the release of your recent financial and tax information (usually dating back the last two years). Below are a few documents needed for approval:
- Two most recent federal tax returns and W-2’s
- Quarterly statements for all stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
- Statements from your 401k or other long term assets
- Credit check and history report
While some of these documents are situation specific, it’s always a good idea to familiarize and organize any necessary information and documents before applying for your home loan. If you have any questions about the documents you need for approval, reach out to one of our loan officers today.